District 44 abides by any applicable regulatory acts including, but not limited to:
- (CIPA) Children’s Internet Protection Act -
CIPA requires districts to put measures in place to filter Internet access and other measures to protect students.
- (COPPA) Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act -
COPPA puts special restrictions on software companies about the information they can collect about students under 13. So, students under 13 can't make their own accounts.
- (FERPA) Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act -
FERPA requires that schools have written permission from the parent or guardian in order to release any information from a student's education record.
- (PPRA) Protection of Pupil Rights Amendment -
Gives parents and minor students’ rights regarding surveys, collection and use of information for marketing purposes, and certain physical exams.
- (SOPPA) Student Online Personal Protection Act -
Effective July 1, 2021. Requires school districts and vendors to provide additional guarantees that student data is protected when collected by educational technology companies, and that data is used for beneficial purposes only.